How to Learn Any Language in Six Months
An amazing linguist talks about how to learn any language in six months by 5 principles and 7 actions. Brilliant points from real life experiences. Highly recommend to watch!
- information that helps survival has relevance( bear's paw prints in a forest)
- Information that helps achieve personal goals has relevance,
- Focus in language content that relevant to you.
- We master tools by using tools, we learn tools fastest when they are relevant
- For example: keyboard
- Use your new language as a tool to communicate from day 1 as a kid does
- When you first understand the message, you will unconsciously acquire the language!
- Language learning is not about accumulating knowledge.
- Physiological training
- E.g. Chinese students with high scores in English exams can't understand English at all when they are in a foreign land.
- It's about muscle movements. When your face hurts, you are doing it right.
- Psycho-physiological state matters.
- You must learn to tolerate ambiguity.
- listen a lot
- Brain soaking and don't worry about how much you can hear
- Get the meaning first （before the words)
- Use body language
- Start mixing
- Doesn't have to be perfect. Just start mixing!
- Focus the core
- Week1- the tool
- What is this?
- How do you say?
- I don't understand...
- All in the target language
- Week2-3 pronouns, common verbs, adj
- You ,that,me, give , hot
- Week 4
- Glue words, but ,and , even though...
- Week1- the tool
- Get a language parent
- Works hard to understand what you are saying
- Does not correct mistakes
- Confirms understanding by using correct language
- Use words the learner knows
- Copy the face
- Direct connect to mental images
Things don't matter
- Talent: it is all about perseverance.
- Immersion: why?
- Westerner in hk and china
- Chinese in western countries
- Because a drowning man cannot learn to swim
Leave a Reply